CEREC is a dental technology that allows a dental practitioner to produce a ceramic dental restoration using 3D imagery.
3D imagery and CAD/CAM technology are used to create the restorations’models, which are then micro milled out of special ceramic blocks, to create tooth-coloured restorations.
We can prepare crowns, veneers, onlays and inlays, using specific types of ceramic materials, to restore teeth to their natural aesthetics and function.
Superlative treatment method
Traditionally fillings, crowns, inlays or onlays take two appointments to complete.
- The first appointment is necessary to prepare and take an impression of the tooth and fill it with a temporary restoration.
- The second is to fill the temporary restoration with the permanent fixture.
However, with CEREC (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics), teeth can be restored in a single appointment, rather than several visits.
CEREC - More information & Benefits
What is CEREC ?
CEREC (Chair-side Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics) is a very high precision, computerised manufacturing process for porcelain crowns and veneers.
It is the most advanced and effective restoration process available to date.
CEREC uses a CAD/CAM process (Computer Aided Design/Computer Aided Manufacture) to mill a crows or veneers out of ceramic blocks.
Benefit: Your Tooth Gets One More Life
CEREC allows the dentist to perform conservative restorations and save more of your healthy tooth. It protects your natural tooth structure. This means even LESS drilling. It also ensure the best fit and achieves a perfect bite.
This is possible because of the very high precision manufacturing process: the tolerances are just 25 microns i.e. 0.025 mm, which is about a quarter of the thickness of a sheet of paper.
Benefit: LESS PAIN, LESS STRESS It Can Be Done In ONE Visit
You can get a complete, permanent, all ceramic crown, onlay, or veneer in just one quick visit! This means FEWER shots, LESS drilling, and less time out of your hectic schedule. No temporary that is uncomfortable, ugly and weak.
The crowns and veneers are milled on site, in the dentist’s lab.
Benefit: Most Biologically Compatible Material
- Natural look — The porcelain colour and translucency closely mimic the look of natural teeth.
- Natural wear — Perfect enamel replacement, neither too hard nor too soft. Feels like a natural tooth. There is no undue wear and you will not need to replace time and again, as you might with older crown or filling technology. Metal restorations can be too abrasive and can damage your natural teeth, the opposing tooth structure.
- No toxic metals — When you replace mercury and other toxic metals with ceramic crowns and fillings you remove those metals from your mouth and the potential harm they may cause. That is a huge reason to opt for ceramics.
- No cracking — The ceramic material used to create your crown or filling expands and contracts as your natural teeth do. This means there is no stress put on your natural tooth structure.
- Strength of gold, looks of natural teeth — Dental bonding using ceramics can return up to 93% of the original strength to a damaged tooth.
Benefit: Closely Matches Natural Tooth The Colour Always Matches
The colour and translucence closely follow that of the natural tooth. Porcelain crowns and porcelain veneers can give you the closest look to the natural teeth, giving you that natural smile
CEREC uses a repetitive industrial process to manufacture the ceramic with precise specifications and well defined colours. This means that the colour always matches.
Now, tomorrow or ten years from now if you decide that you want more work done. You can match all your crowns and veneers at any time.
Benefit: It Protects Your Investment
Because the process involves high-precision measurements and hi-tech ceramics CEREC porcelain crowns and porcelain veneers have the same expansion rate as tooth material which is one of the reasons they can last for many decades.
Past clinical studies from the ’90es have proven that even with the older CEREC 1 and CEREC 2 system the success rate of porcelain crowns after nine years was 95.5% And this was with older systems. And even more: the rest just needed more work mainly because of later tooth extraction. And that was before the current levels of clinical precision and the quality of the joints.
Benefit: It’s Cheaper In The long Run
- Most biologically compatible materials — which means least amount of stress on your teeth, no undue wear.
- Same colour: all time, every time, guaranteed — CEREC porcelains are created from the CEREC blocks which are made in a repeatable industrial process which means you can be sure that you can get the same colour to match your other porcelain crowns or veneers, every time, now or even ten years from now.
- Cheapest all-porcelain crowns — because they are made on the spot by a fully automated milling machine, there are no laboratory costs, no second visit hassles.
- One visit only — LESS PAIN, less hassle, less time in the dental chair.
What to expect during the visit
In first stage your tooth is prepared. Any decay, if present, is removed, leaving as much as possible of your healthy tooth.
Then then we use use a special camera that scans your tooth in 3D and creates a computerized model of your tooth. We design your new restoration on a computer screen using the 3D image and you can watch and enjoy your new tooth being created.
Once the design is ready, a solid block of porcelain ceramic is inserted into the milling machine and the actual manufacture of your new crown begins (this is a fully automated process). Depending on the work to be done this may take 2–3 hours.
After the milling process is done, the crown is then given the final finish in a special porcelain oven.
The final step is to bond the new crown to the already prepared tooth.
What We Do
At Advanced Dental we have 28 years of experience practising the best methods and using the highest-quality materials for the long-term benefit of out clients.
CEREC technology is one of the several we use for state-of-the art cosmetic dentistry to give our clients the very best and healthiest possible smile !
Call us now on (07) 3715 8551 for an appointment or click here to book now for a great experience.